Kyle Rowland joins the podcast to preview the 2018 Wolverines, and then Rich and Max discuss the "Bielema Paradox", revisit bag men, and take a 2nd look at their receiver exercise from episode 228
Taking a break from the B1G Picture series, Rich and Max take a listener-driven dive further into Milwaukee recruiting, talk safeties, and take a shot at what they think the distribution of receptions will look like in 2018
- 1:30 Rich... Mover and Shaker... At least mover
- 4:00 Neil and revisiting the MKE football issue
- 16:15 Ben in Chicago on Dixon as most important player on the defense
- 18:45 Matt in MKE on the emergence of Scott Nelson
- 25:30 Who’s gonna catch passes... and how many?
- 34:30 Quintez Cephus
- 37:00 Danny Davis... where Max underestimates him
- 38:30 AJ Taylor
- 39:15 Kendrick Pryor
- 40:00 Aron Cruikshank
- 41:45 Jack Dunn
- 42:00 Zander Nueville
- 43:00 Kyle Penniston
- 47:00 Luke Benzschal
- 47:45 Jake Ferguson
- 48:30 Jonathan Taylor
- 50:15 Chris James
- 50:45 Garret Groschek
- 51:30 Alec Ingold
- 53:00 Adjustments
- 1:03:00 Merch
Scott Dochterman previews the Iowa Hawkeyes plus Rich and Max talk about the potential for Kayden Lyles' to move to nose guard and the relative strength of Iowa and Wisconsin as football programs.
- 2:00 Max, the college football polygamist
- 4:00 Welcome back Scott Dochterman soon to be of the Athletic
- 4:30 A look back at 2017
- 7:30 A look at the running game
- 15:00 Will the defense be able to replace the LB’s?
- 23:00 A look at the 2018 schedule
- 28:30 Rich no longer views Iowa as an equal
- 37:00 Ty(ler in) Deforest on Kaden Lyles to the D Line
- 45:30 Max leaves for his exacting social schedule
- 46:15 Rich did a Nebraska pod
- 47:00 Buy merch!
- 48:30 Rich quit the cable... and yelled at kids (not his) to get off his lawn
Rich and Max preview Rutgers with James Kratch before discussing how the Badgers might manage the injuries to Rand and Loudermilk, what "shutting down your recruitment" really means and work through some listener mail.
- 1:30 Back for the 3rd week in a row
- 2:45 Welcome James Kratch from nj.com
- 3:15 A look back at 2017
- 4:45 SO many offensive coordinators
- 11:30 Turnover on the DL
- 14:45 Will the defense still be a strength?
- 18:00 Does Ash have to make a bowl in 18?
- 22:00 Rich lives Rutgers like Max loves Iowa... and NIU... and Illinois... and
- 23:15 The suddenly thin Badger DL
- 33:45 Does Mertz shutting it down mean anything?
- 39:30 Journal Sentinel Jesse on being sentimental
- 41:30 Scoreboard Brin on Milwaukee football recruiting
- 47:30 Hawking Merch
Rich discusses Northwestern with Adam Hoge before he's joined by Max to break down the impact of the injuries to Garret Rand and Isaiah Loudermilk for 2018.
- 2:30 Lysol wipes on a keyboard is a no-no
- 4:00 Welcome back Adam Hoge
- 5:30 2017’s quietest 10 win season
- 7:30 Clayton Thorson’s return
- 9:30 Who else is of note for the 2018 offense?
- 12:15 Northwestern’s lack of explosiveness
- 14:15 Will the defense be as good as last year?
- 18:15 Expectations for 2018
- 27:45 2018 UW football as 2014-15 UW basketball
- 28:45 The impact of the DL injuries
- 40:00 Goofer QB
- 42:30 P.O.D. Breaks down Sota
- 44:00 Steve in Portland on the media’s perception of the Badgers
- 47:45 Pat in MKE on the lack of football talent in MKE
- 55:30 Shirts, hoodies AND hats!
Kyle Goblirsch previews the Gophers and Rich and Max discuss the assistant coach pay raises and work through some listener mail regarding Jim Leonhard and the defensive side of the ball.
- 1:45 Your main source for Elite 11 talk
- 3:00 Welcome back Kyle Goblirsch from Minnesota 24/7
- 3:30 Was the plan evident to see in 2017?
- 6:00 Is the talent improving?
- 9:45 What does the 2018 offense look like and who to watch
- 15:45 Looking for a transfer QB?
- 21:00 The 2018 defense and who to watch
- 27:15 The prospects for 2018
- 32:00 Assistant Coach salaries
- 45:30 Ryan in Glenview on defense system vs coaching
- 49:00 Balky in SLC on changing the style of play to suit opponents
- 52:30 Max uses advanced hyperbole
- 55:00 A plug for Crooked Letters
- 1:00:45 We’re making hats... we’ll let you know when and how
Mike Carmin previews the Boilermakers in Jeff Brohm's 2nd year plus Rich and Max dissect the national title talk in the media of late.
- 1:15 We always do Purdue early
- 2:30 Welcome back Mike Carmin from JC Online
- 3:15 Was last year's defensive success a surprise?
- 5:45 How much hype surrounds the 2018 season?
- 8:00 What to expect from the offense
- 11:00 WR and the JUCO route
- 13:00 How good is the defense going to be this year and who to watch?
- 15:30 A glance at the schedule
- 18:45 Jake in Madison is the listener of the week
- 20:45 Dylan in VA on the Badger players talking NC
- 33:30 Travis in St Louis on what would be a disappointment
- 35:15 Thoughts on the de-commits
Jeremy Werner previews Illinois plus Rich and Max discuss Ryan Connelly as an OLB, what consequences there are for canceling the spring game, and the transfer of Kare Lyles.
- 1:30 All you suckers missed out on a lively Ron Zook conversation
- 2:00 Welcome Jeremy Werner of Illini Enquiror
- 2:30 Looking back at Year 2 of Lovie
- 4:30 The part where Max compares Lovie to Theo Epstein (as a Bears and Red Sox fan this is a bad comp)
- 6:30 Changing direction at QB
- 9:45 Who will step up on defense?
- 13:00 Looking forward to an easier schedule
- 17:00 Max is all in on Illini positivity
- 18:30 Now on to the Badgers
- 19:30 Bob on the lack of a Spring Game
- 22:30 Connelly at OLB?
- 28:00 Rich's manifesto on The Kare Saga
- 37:30 Shirts or hoodies... or a hat?
Jason Galloway joins the podcast to give his thoughts at the conclusion of spring practice.
- 2:00 Welcome back, Jason Galloway
- 2:30 The backup QB situation
- 5:45 Adam in MN on if the O Line is as deep as portrayed
- 10:30 Will Sam Brodner play as a #3 RB?
- 12:30 Addie in Madison on Hornibrook or Taylor getting hurt
- 14:45 Ryan in Glenview on Cruikshank's future
- 19:00 Other WR's
- 21:15 How does TE play out if Nueville isn't ready?
- 25:00 And now... FULLBACK TALK
- 26:00 Ben in Chicago on the DL
- 28:30 DL hypothetical
- 29:45 OLB depth
- 34:00 DB's starring Scott Nelson
- 39:30 China Bob on underappreciated Badgers
- 41:30 Weekday Ryan on whose expectations are too high
The Badgers canceled the spring game. Rich and Max still talked about Spring Football
- 1:15 they got the weather talk out of the way off line
- 3:00 A call for spring practice questions
- 4:30 The schools attitude towards canceling the spring game
- 6:45 Travis in STL on Cruikshank staying healthy
- 15:00 The DL... a collection of candidates
- 18:45 Sam Brodner as a FB is big in Connecticut
- 25:00 Max goes hyperbolic on the offense
- 33:00 Buckaround recommends (other) podcasts
Rich and Max take stock of a spring practice with minimal drama and little intrigue. How do you make this interesting?
- 1:15 I'm Rich and l'm here with my dying co-host Max
- 4:00 No QB controversy means no drama
- 9:45 South Jersey Pete on the Deal with Taiwan
- 14:30 Steve in NY on Taiwan Deal's flabby guns
- 15:45 Tom on the Train on where Farrar's role this year
- 20:15 Rich is getting what he wanted at DB
- 22:45 The injury list
- 24:30 Will there be a 50-50 run-pass play call this year?
- 27:30 The Spring Game
- 35:00 Kyle's closing the doors. Go say hi!!
Rich and Max look at what can be learned about the Badgers as they head into another spring practice.
- 1:30 The biggest of Rich's many podcast mistakes
- 4:45 Into the Paul Jackson weeds
- 9:15 The players NOT participating
- 12:00 Missing from the roster
- 14:00 Weight changes
- 18:00 The freshman
- 21:30 Things to watch in spring
- 22:00 Taiwan Deal
- 23:30 Cornerback... wherein Faion Hicks may be the new Hillary
- 26:45 How TE shakes out
- 27:45 The DL
- 30:15 Seperating Hornibrook and Coan
- 35:00 Listener questions
- 35:15 Adam in Kenosha on FR playing early
- 36:30 Matt in MKE on surprise starters
- 39:00 Ryan in Chicago on Bell moving to DE
- 42:00 Thanks to Eric. HTML scraper extraordinaire
Rich and Max examine the future of the Badger defense.
- 3:30 Diving into the defense
- 6:00 DE... zero career starts
- 19:15 We take you live to the Hawkeyearound
- 20:30 NT... lots of recent misses
- 27:30 ILB... not so fast Arrington
- 36:15 OLB... Van Ginkel is coming to steal your goats
- 43:15 CB... young and inexperienced
- 52:15 Safety... let's check back in with the Hawkeyearound
- 59:15 The specialists
It's time to turn the page to 2018 as Rich and Max give their thoughts on what the offense will look like in 2018.
- 2:45 Turning the page to 2018
- 5:00 To answer their question: In 17 they didn't give future grades or even current grades
- 8:00 QB Hornibrook is our quarterback
- 18:15 RB and depth behind Taylor
- 32:15 FB... there's only two on the roster
- 36:30 WR... boringly awesome
- 44:45 TE... a little bit of shakeup?
- 52:00 OL... there is some depth here
- 1:06:45 Mertz collecting all the offers
Evan Flood returns to the BuckAround to break down the Badgers' latest signing class and look ahead at what is in store on the recruiting trail in 2019.
- 2:00 Slow signing day
- 4:00 Welcome back Evan Flood of 247
- 4:45 Noticeable changes at CB
- 7:30 Max forgets the name Wildgoose somehow
- 9:30 Kyle in Silver Springs on Florida recruiting
- 11:45 The impact of the early signing period on Bucky
- 14:30 The 2018 recruiting strategies
- 17:00 Utilizing Cruickshank
- 19:00 Ben in Chicago on a Sanborn comp
- 21:00 Bryson Williams playing this year?
- 23:00 Will Nakia Watson play early?
- 25:30 Tom on the Train on UW's offense helping recruit OL
- 27:00 2019 recruiting off to a great start
- 29:30 Does Mertz stick with UW
- 31:45 Beating UM and Bama for Logan Brown
- 33:00 Will this be the Badgers best class ever?
- 35:00 Max is bullish on Badger recruiting
- 38:15 Rich is cautiously optimistic
(Those two stamps sum up the whole history of the Pod)
- 44:30 Looking back at the 2013 recruiting class
- 56:45 Upcoming shows
Rich and Max present the most prestigious awards show in all of sports: The Golden Buckys!
- 1:30 Max couldn't hear Rich in the first attempt at this ep (seems ideal), but fixed now
- 4:30 Your 2017 Golden Bucky's
- 5:30 Most Outstanding Player M: J Taylor R: TJ Edwards
- 8:30 Offensive MVP M: Hornibrook R: D Davis
- 12:00 Deffensive MVP M: TJ Edwards R: Nelson
- 14:00 Most Improved M: Van Ginkel R: Cephus
- 17:00 Unsung Hero M: Sheehy R: Jamerson
- 20:15 Biggest Underperformer M: Peavy R: Peavy
- 21:30 Ray Ball Award Both: Rushing
- 25:45 Freshman of the Year Both: J Taylor
- 26:15 Future Star Both AND me: Danny MFing Davis lll
- 29:15 Worst Game M: B1G Title Game R: Illinois
- 32:45 Play of the Year M: Van Ginkel's picks R: AJ Taylor catch vs UM
- 36:00 Game of the Year M: Minnesota R: Orange Bowl
- 42:00 Coach of the Year M: Settle R: Gilmore
- 46:00 Dave in Brookfield on meme of 2017 season
- 50:30 Mark in Riverwoods, IL on people disrespecting Badgers
- 59:30 Evan Flood next episode
Rich is joined by Jason Galloway to review the 2017 Badgers and take a few minutes to talk about Jason's alma mater.
- 1:00 No Max means no Golden Bucky's
- 2:15 Welcome back Jason Galloway
- 3:15 Was Hornibrook the QB we expected?
- 8:30 Was 2017 Hornibrook better than Stave?
- 10:45 Running Back talk
- 13:00 Groshek going forward
- 15:00 The OL development
- 18:00 WR's ALL THE TALENT!!!
- 22:30 The overlooked DL
- 26:45 ILB and Orr not playing in the Orange Bowl
- 29:00 Are the OLB's products of the system?
- 31:00 Were Nelson and Tindal elite?
- 34:15 Ben in Chicago and who improved the most
- 35:30 Mark in Riverwoods on the Badgers becoming a helmet school
- 37:30 Neal in MN on how Badgers would have done in the Playoff
- 40:00 Rich loves 9 month early Top 25's...
- 43:15 How much better can the offense be?
- 44:15 2018 Badger concerns
- 45:45 Roll Tide Galloway, Roll Tide
The Badgers come home victorious over Miami in the Orange Bowl and Rich and Max look back on a historic 13-1 season.
- 1:30 Max is under the weather
- 3:15 The Talkaround
- 6:00 Was the game unremarkable?
- 12:00 The announcers
- 15:00 Played out the way we thought
- 17:00 The Badgers were/are appropriately ranked
- 19:00 Badger football is as good as ever
- 20:00 Edwards' injury
- 21:30 The Badgers had better athletes than Miami!!!
- 26:15 And Jonathan Taylor is a FR
- 28:45 The turnover chain capper
- 33:15 UR Player of the Game
- 37:00 Big games in the B1G
- 57:00 Off-season episodes
- 59:00 Best Badger season ever?
Rich and Max preview the Badgers' matchup with Miami in the Orange Bowl, discuss the early signing period, and close the show with talk of the Badgers' changes on the coaching staff.
- 1:30 The boys are back and they are over the loss
- 5:30 Breaking promises
- 7:15 The matchup
- 9:00 Talking efficiencies
- 15:30 Shades of 2009
- 17:00 Will the Badger be able to block?
- 19:00 The Miami schedule
- 23:30 The motivation edge
- 26:15 Orange Bowl predictions
- 28:00 The early signing period
- 41:45 Early entrants to the NFL
- 48:30 Transfers... in?
- 51:30 Tibesar to Oregon St
- 55:30 Leonhard isn't gonna be here forever
- 57:15 Peavy graduates
- 59:00 Order from Silly Yak!!!
Rich and Max recap the Badgers 27-21 loss to Ohio State
- 1:00 First time this season discussing a loss
- 3:30 Mrs Buckaround is a jinx
- 6:30 The Talkaround
- 12:30 The game in a sentence
- 24:30 OSU had to play hard to win
- 28:15 The Badger offense
- 35:45 The OL
- 39:00 The OSU pass coverage
- 40:15 Missing Neuville
- 43:00 Did they miss Cephus?
- 52:15 Matty Singer of Whitnall on punting inside the 40
- 56:30 UR Player of the Game (also Rich sings Christmas carols... kinda)
- 1:01:30 The turf! It came up!!!
- 1:05:30 Brock in Heartbreak City on "how hard it is" being a Badger fan
- 1:12:15 Hornibrook's 7 Yard run