Rich and Max add to the 2015 B1G Picture catalog with a visit from Kyle Goblirsch of Gopher 247. He talks about how the team improved in 2014, if Mitch Leidner is ready to make major strides in 2015, and if Minnesota's defense can complement what looks like an elite secondary. They close the show discussing the Jordan Stevenson fallout, what the latest roster changes mean for the team, and Rich's various (unnecessary) Twitter beefs.
The second episode in a 2 show week, Rich and Max (in spirit) deliver the promised Nebraska preview with Mike'l Severe of The Bottom Line at Omaha.com. They talk the biggest questions on offense and defense and why Mike Riley isn't an "Energy Vampire". They close the show with a preview of B1G Media Days which include questions they would like asked of Paul Chryst by the media as well as drinking games for those [crazy enough to be] watching at home.
- 1:45 Apologies for the Jordan Stevenson comments
- 2:45 A BuckAround welcome to Mike'l Severe
- 3:30 2014 Huskers recap
- 4:45 How will Tommy Armstrong fit into Mike Riley's system?
- 8:00 Will the RB's carry the offense?
- 10:45 Questions on the OL
- 12:00 Two solid WR's... And then what?
- 14:00 Is the DL the best defensive position group? Not according to Mike'l.
- 15:20 Who will play LB for the Huskers?
- 18:45 What brought Riley to Nebraska?
- 22:00 Welcome back Max!!!
- 22:45 Last chance to get your LIMITED EDITION BUCKAROUND tees!!! Rich MEANS it!!!
- 28:30 A self aggrandizing NIU mention
- 30:30 B1G Media Day and it's flaws.
- 33:30 Questions the Buckaround would ask at Media Day
- 44:45 I repeat. The "skill position revolution" will NOT be televised.
In the wake of the Jordan Stevenson news, Rich and Max share their thoughts on what can be learned from the entire experience. They examine his late rejection from the university, what it means going forward, and if this is the true legacy of Gary Andersen at Wisconsin. Finally they close the show analyzing current and future defensive depth where Max somehow compares Iowa to Alabama.
- 3:15 Is the Buckaround coming to your CITAAAY (if your city is College Park, MD)?
- 7:00 Have you ordered a Buckaround shirt? Time is running out.
- 11:15 Jordan Stevenson isn't walking through that door
- 16:30 Why did the Chancellor reject Stevenson?
- 19:00 Why did no one confirm Stevenson's test score hype earlier?
- 22:00 Can we get some new Chryst photos?!?
- 23:30 How Stevenson could bring the admission conversation to the forefront
- 27:00 How does this change the RB depth chart?
- 29:30 A look at the defensive depth charts
- 30:45 Defensive End
- 37:15 Nose Tackle
- 41:30 Outside Linebacker
- 45:45 Inside Linebacker
- 50:00 Ludicrous Iowa mention
- 51:30 Cornerback
- 57:30 Safety
- 1:02:45 Next episode is Nebraska. No really... We mean it.
Another week, lots more content! Mike Carmin returns to the BuckAround to update Rich and Max on the Boilermakers. He discusses the battle at quarterback, who the "ball carrying" standouts will be, and who he thinks is a future All-B1G player on the defense. Rich and Max close the show with their present & future position strength analysis on the offensive side of the ball and some listener mail.
- 2:00 Corrections
- 5:00 Welcome back Mike Carmen to talk Purdue
- 5:45 2014 Purdue recap
- 7:30 Issues with closing out 2014 games
- 9:45 How significant was QB change?
- 14:30 How will the 2015 QB competition play out?
- 17:30 How will the OL scheme change impact the running game?
- 20:40 Balancing the roster you have with the scheme you want
- 22:45 A look at the WR's and TE's
- 26:15 Are the young Lb's the strength of the defense?
- 30:15 What defensive improvement would have the biggest impact?
- 33:30 How does this team make a bowl?
- 36:45 Does Hazell keep his job with 5 wins?
- 39:45 Subtle Northern Illinois mention
- 40:00 How does Purdue escape the bottom tier of the B1G?
- 44:30 Max's "ball moving positions" revolution will NOT be televised
- 45:45 Buckaround tee shirts. Buy them.
- 49:00 A look at the offensive depth chart
- 50:30 QB
- 54:00 RB
- 57:30 FB
- 1:00:00 TE
- 1:04:00 OL
- 1:10:15 WR
- 1:16:45 Listener mail
- 1:24:00 Nebraska next week. Please send questions.
Because they simply had too much to be contained in one show, Rich and Max return so that Max can share his thoughts after a 3 week hiatus. He gives his predictions for Iowa in 2015 (what else is he really going to talk about?) and reviews Phil Steele's predictions for the Badgers in '15 as well. The hosts close the show with some podcast and television recommendations for listeners of a certain demographic.
- 1:15 Max breaks the Internet... And other technology
- 3:00 Alcohol preferences
- 5:15 There's a new way to get your Buckaround fix
- 12:15 The third to last reminder to get your Buckaround shirt
- 15:15 "This is the only thing I'm going to say about Iowa tonight."
- 19:30 Max defends the big uglies
- 22:15 It's time for the #Maxminute
- 32:00 Rich has issues with the layout of Phil Steele's magazine.
- 39:30 Rich relents and allows Max to participate in BS from the JS
- 46:00 Recommendations
- 53:30 Talk to you later
Always the BuckAround's most requested guest, Evan Flood returns to the podcast to give Badger fans an update on what's happening on the recruiting trail with Wisconsin. He talks the decommitment of Craig Watts, the coaching staff's role in recruiting, academics, apparel, and how he expects the recruiting class to play out on signing day.
- 1:30 Catching up
- 5:30 Seriously... Order your Buckaround shirt
- 7:50 The one and only Evan Flood
- 8:15 What happened to Craig Watts?
- 10:15 Compare and contrast Chryst's recruiting with Andersen's
- 12:45 Division of labor on the staff
- 17:25 How has covering recruiting changed with the Chryst hire?
- 22:30 What happened with Bredeson?
- 25:30 Impressions of in state recruiting
- 27:45 We offer HS freshmen now?
- 29:30 Who is handling recruiting coordinator duties?
- 32:15 Is Bradrick Shaw the most overlooked incoming Fr?
- 34:00 How will DB recruiting play out?
- 35:30 Who are the top 5 remaining realistic targets?
- 38:30 Is Antonio Williams still solid?
- 39:45 Is there a disconnect between admissions and the staff?
- 43:45 Is UW perceived as more rigorous academically than rivals?
- 46:00 How important is apparel affiliation to recruits?
- 48:30 How has Badger recruiting changed in the last 5 years?
- 51:00 Over/Under... Final recruiting rank
- 52:15 How does 2017 in state class look?
- 55:45 What did we learn?
- 58:30 Max doesn't pee
With Max away this week, Rich navigates the Maryland portion of the B1G Picture with only the help of Roman Stubbs, Maryland Football and Basketball beatwriter for the Washington Post. They discuss the Terrapin's first year in the B1G, how the program replaces some significant losses in the offseason, and the future of Randy Edsall as hard football coach. Rich is then joined by Andy Schaaf, creator of the not-so-famous JSComments twitter account, to do some listener Q&A surrounding recruiting, Jordan Stevenson's impact as a true freshman, and the finer points of automotive maintenance.
- 1:30 Max is a traveling man
- 2:45 Roman Stubbs of the Washington Post
- 3:15 Impressions of Terrapins first year in the B1G
- 6:30 The O Line and its young talent
- 12:00 Is there a primary RB?
- 14:30 Is Caleb Rowe the starting QB?
- 17:45 What type of QB does Edsall want long term?
- 19:15 Who is catching the ball?
- 22:45 How will the DC change impact the scheme?
- 26:30 Is the secondary the team's defensive strength?
- 29:15 Is the defense better suited for the B1G than in 2014?
- 32:45 What is Randy Edsall's job security?
- 37:30 Is the Maryland fan base embracing the move to the B1G?
- 43:00 Have you ordered your Buckaround shirt yet? Why not?
- 46:15 We have listener questions
- 47:00 Bigger, Stringer, Faster... Let's talk strength coach
- 51:45 What if Jordan Stevenson doesn't qualify academically?
- 56:45 Recruits and Twitter... Why?
- 1:00:15 Does UW win the B1G West?
- 1:05:15 Talk about James Franklin
- 1:11:15 Does an Ohio State University run the table?
- 1:14:15 Will the Badgers have a Top 25 signing class this year?
- 1:23:15 Scheduling theory
- 1:28:30 B1G East vs B1G West
- 1:30:15 Guess who's back? Back again. JS Comments. Tell your friends
- 1:37:30 Thanks everybody!
Marc Morehouse returns to the BuckAround to share his thoughts on the current state of the Hawkeyes. He discusses the disappointing 2014 campaign and the subsequent off season fallout, what to expect from CJ Beathard as quarterback, and who can fill the holes left by the loss of Carl Davis and Louis Trinca-Pasat on defense. Afterwards, Rich attacks Max's "Chryst revisionism" before contrasting the geographic distribution of offers between the Chyrst, Andersen, and Bielema regimes.
- 3:00 Max is the real MVP
- 5:20 Marc Morehouse was fooled into coming on the show again
- 6:45 Why are people so angry about Iowa's 2014?
- 10:00 What to make of Iowa's January press conference?
- 12:45 Why was the decision to start CJ Beathard at QB made so quick?
- 16:45 Thoughts on the change at OC
- 20:45 The OL and the running game
- 25:15 Who will play the "ball moving" positions?
- 30:45 What's the identity of the defense
- 35:30 Wins prediction?
- 40:00 Over/Under
- 47:45 Wisconsin Crootin
- 59:45 Rich's Research Corner
- 1:15:30 The hosts attempt to determine when they will pod again. Fail.
Making his 3rd appearance on the show, Logan Larson (a.k.a. Space Coyote) returns to the podcast to dissect the Badger spring game. He handicaps the backup quarterback race, evaluates the talent available at wide receiver, has high hopes for the defensive line and explains why Leon Jacobs is one of his breakout stars for 2015. All the while fending off Max's best efforts to turn this podcast into a preview of Illinois.
- 1:30 It's all Badgers tonight
- 6:00 Making his THIRD appearance... Logan Larson aka the Space Coyote
- 7:00 All B1G breakout team starting... Wait for it... Joel Stave
- 12:00 The competition for the backup QB
- 19:45 What's the Deal with Taiwan?
- 24:45 Some surprise standouts on the OL
- 30:15 Are UW WR's going to be awful?
- 32:10 TE's appear solid
- 33:45 Is the DL the most improved unit on the defense?
- 37:45 Let's talk about Leon Jacobs... A lot.
- 46:20 Will the defense perform better against top offenses?
- 55:00 Where for art thou Austin Kafentzis? (spoiler: it's Nevada)
With their second installment of the offseason, Rich and Max take the B1G Picture series to Ann Arbor where they are joined by Mark Snyder of the Detroit Free Press. They discuss the failings of the Hoke regime, the excitement that Jim Harbaugh has brought to the Michigan program, and what to expect of the team in 2015. Rich and Max give their thoughts on Michigan as well and close the show with the major announcement:
1:00 Rich has nothing to say
1:55 Our guest tonight is Mark Snyder
2:30 What went wrong with Brady Hoke?
6:30 How do the Camp Harbaughs work?
9:30 Is the secondary the best unit?
11:45 The loss of Jake Ryan and the remaining LB's
12:45 Talk about the DL
14:15 What should we expect from the OL?
16:45 Is the QB position Jake Ruddock's to lose?
19:45 The depth at RB
21:00 Jake Butt and the other pass catchers
22:20 Who will kick the ball?
23:45 How much of MSU's rise is because of UM being down?
25:15 What to expect from UM this year
26:30 How long will Harbaugh be at UM?
31:00 Rich's bold prediction
39:15 Rich reveals his bold prediction
42:00 WISCY WEAR HAS BUCKAROUND TEES!!!
47:30 Speakpipe question/endorsement
50:45 That's a wrap.
Rich and Max officially kick off the B1G Picture series with a discussion of Rutgers football with Dan Duggan of NJ.com. Dan breaks down the quarterback battle, the depth concerns on defense, and what Rutgers can be as a football team in 2015 and beyond. Rich and Max close the show discussing the latest in Badgers recruiting, read some listener mail, and lament the loss of Jesse Temple on the Badger football beat.
- 1:15 Sargent Major Max
- 2:45 The Revenge of Dan Duggan
- 3:20 2014 Rutgers Recap
- 4:30 The tale of Jeff Towers
- 6:30 The Ralph Friedgen situation
- 10:30 Who's gonna be the QB?
- 13:00 And who will they throw to?
- 15:00 The RB's will be a strength
- 19:00 The OL has questions
- 20:30 The DL has some stars and some issues.
- 23:00 The LB's lack depth
- 24:30 What's left in the secondary?
- 26:00 2015 and beyond
- 31:45 Rutgers place in the B1G
- 34:45 Rich and Max talk about Rutgers behind Dan's back.
- 38:30 The sky is falling
- 51:45 Breaking... Listeners love shoutouts
- 53:15 Bold prediction feedback
- 1:02:00 Jesse Temple is leaving Fox Sports Wisconsin
It may be May, but Rich and Max have no shortage of Badgers news thanks to the announcement of Austin Kafentzis' transfer out of the Wisconsin program. They discuss his rapid fall from favor, what this means for depth, and how this may in fact be a sign of health in the program. They also, with some help from some really strong listener submissions, tackle their bold predictions for 2015. They both feel like this is Stave's year while spending lots of time talking about - what else - punting.
- 1:15 Rich has the constitution of a butterfly
- 2:30 The podcasting gods give the... The Austin Kafentzis saga
- 23:00 The Guy at the Top: The Joel Stave Story
- 25:00 Bold Prediction Time
- 25:15 QB Predictions
- 33:30 Punting Predictions
- 35:30 Alabama Game Predictions
- 38:30 Alex Erickson Predictions
- 41:15 Running Back Predictions
- 42:45 Tight End Predictions
- 45:00 Defense and ST Predictions (non punter division)
- 51:00 Bowl Predictions
- 54:00 Scheduling Predictions
- 56:30 Wrap Up
After a months-long courtship, the BuckAround is finally joined by Dave Heller, Digital Content Manager (and all around good guy) of Fox Sports Wisconsin and Fox Sports North. Dave breaks down the mechanics of covering the Badgers on a day to day basis. He outlines the mechanics of Athletics Communcations departments, where reporters get sources, and how reporters react to being lied to by team officials. Rich and Max close the show with a discussion of the popular "reuturn of the B1G" narrative and some viewer mail surrounding punters (of course) and Max's workout regimen.
- 1:15 Max's grandparents were married 75 years!!!
- 6:00 The Buckaround's Moby Dick... Dave Heller
- 9:15 Access to college athletes
- 15:00 Badger coverage compared to other teams
- 19:15 How UW administration is so good at controlling info.
- 24:45 How does a coach lying impact media relations?
- 27:30 How does a coach being familiar impact media relations?
- 33:30 Narrative arcs
- 35:30 have B1G coaches been upgraded? A retrospective
- 56:45 Listener emails including one on Hans, Franz and Max
- 1:03:00 Wrap up and call for predictions
With spring practice officially in the rear view mirror, Rich and Max pause to reflect on what's been learned about the team over the past 15 practices. They give their impressions on the offensive line, what they saw out of the backup quarterbacks, and what they thought about the inexperienced linebackers. They close the show with a larger discussion of Paul Chryst as a recruiter and what can be learned from his approach thus far.
- 2:00 The exercise of making people uncomfortable
- 4:15 Kicking it off with a listener speak pipe
- 5:30 Wisconsin's top concern... The offensive line?!?
- 13:35 Rich wants to talk quarterbacks
- 17:15 WR's are better than we thought... Maybe?
- 24:00 Moving to the DL
- 28:45 TJ Edwards is a player
- 31:45 Another speak pipe message?!? Just kidding.
- 34:15 Dare vs Deal
- 37:30 Seriously, another speak pipe message.
- 42:00 Crootin with Chryst
- 55:00 Listener emails
- 1:20 Hobby talk
- 4:20 New Home Owner Jesse Temple
- 5:20 Back up QB battle
- 8:55 The RB situation and Deal vs Dare
- 11:30 Listener question and a discussion about the WRs.
- 17:30 Is the Wisconsin OL a concern?
- 20:20 Status of the DL
- 22:40 Are the LB's actually a strength?
- 24:40 Wisconsin Defense 2015: More Pressure and Stuff
- 26:20 Tanner Talk
- 28:30 The Best Question
- 31:45 Who will return the kicks?
- 33:15 The coaching staff and the media
- 38:50 Prop bets
- 46:30 MELVIN Gordon's honesty
- 52:15 Wrap up
After taking a week off (OK, a week and a half!) Rich and Max return to discuss the latest developments in spring practice. They look at the depth at running back, the questions at wide receiver, and the pronunciation of Alex Hornibrook's name. They close the show with Rich's theory on why the Badgers have had such a "quiet" spring.
- 2:00 Maxwell Brusky: Podcast Superstar
- 5:30 Spring practice... Just kidding. It's rambling. Mikey Dudek is the new Iowa.
- 9:30 We are #TeamDare and other RB talk.
- 16:15 Alex Hornibrook is strong out the gate.
- 20:45 Weekly (semi-weekly) McEvoy talk and the WR's.
- 26:00 Sojourn Shelton rebounds.
- 29:10 Paul Chryst is NOT a quote machine.
- 40:30 Good night.
Making his annual spring practice pilgrimage to the BuckAround, B5Q's Luke Mueller joins the podcast to give Rich and Max an update on what he's seeing with Paul Chryst's Badgers this spring. He breaks down the progression of the quarterbacks, if Dare Ogunbowale can be the #2 running back, and what the new faces at inside linebacker bring to the table. He even finds time to give some hot punting takes!
- 1:30 We are the Giving Tree
- 3:30 Can YOU help with the archives?
- 6:00 Return of the Jedi, Luke Mueller
- 8:05 Bart Houston looks solid. Not at punter…at quarterback!
- 11:45 Compare and contracts Alex Hornibrook and Austin Kafentzis
- 14:15 Let’s talk Dare, Deal and Kinlaw
- 18:55 Who will catch the ball?
- 23:30 New coaches getting Settled…get it?
- 27:50 The Lines
- 35:10 Inside Linebackers: what do we have here?
- 40:55 Trezy…I think, and the last line of defense
- 46:50 Punting. It’s not pretty folks.
- 50:15 Why the lack of story lines?
Returning from a two week hiatus, Rich and Max give their thoughts on Spring Practice thus far. They discuss Chryst's handling of the quarterbacks, whether Tanner McEvoy will play wide receiver (Rich kinda whiffs on this part), what inside linebacker is going to look like, and the strange way the relationship between the athletic department and Badger football media works. They close out the show with a brand new segment that EVERYONE is going to be talking about!
- 1:20 Max's article and Twitter handles
- 4:00 And now for something new and exciting... Well not no, but later in the show
- 7:05 Let's talk about spring practice and the lack of drama
- 10:45 Stave is our quarterback
- 15:30 recurring Tanner McEvoy talk, now with more WR
- 18:25 Inside LB's, wherein Rich explains the sort feature to Max
- 25:55 Austin Hudson's transfer and keeping things hush-hush.
- 31:50 A listener question and advanced sorting.
- 43:05 Return of the MAC (discussion).
- 46:00 Max's Minute(s)
- 1:04:40 One last question
Basketball? Who needs basketball! Rich and Max ring in the beginning of spring practice with their thoughts on what can be learned about the team over the next month. The look at the myriad of questions on offense, where there are concerns on defense and manage to talk about Iowa nine times over the course of the episode. Spring practive primers: "There are many like it, but this one is ours!"
- 1:44 Iowa geography and outdated discussions of The Bachelor
- 3:16 Buckaround's spring coverage is different
- 5:36 Let's talk about Tanner McEvoy. He's fast enough, he's big enough and gosh darn it people like him (at other positions).
- 12:46 Quarterbacks, a competition? Who's number 2?
- 18:46 WR's development
- 22:45 Who will step up on OL? Max sneaks in Iowa discussion.
- 27:41 Let's talk defense. inside LB's, Jeremy Patterson and the secondary.
- 34:20 PUNTERS!!!
- 39:55 Slot WR Can Jazz Peavy be this year's Rob Wheelwright (have more than one catch)?
- 41:30 Closing thoughts
Wrapping up what they started last week, Rich and Max take a stab at projecting the 2015 defense. They look at some of the new starters at defensive line and linebacker and agree that the secondary looks very crowded with the potential additions of Tanner McEvoy and Natrell Jamerson, but first take time to examine the significance of how the John Settle hire was rolled out.
- 1:30 A series of apologies
- 4:00 How the University introduced Coach Settle
- 12:10 The defensive line
- 22:20 The linebackers
- 33:00 The defensive backs
- 44:45 Kicking and punting and returning
- 50:00 Player acquisition, player development and player deployment... Boom.
- 56:30 That's a wrap