Filling out the BuckAround's Holiday Bowl preview, Lindsey Thiry joins Rich to discuss the state of USC heading into the December 30th matchup. Lindsey breaks down common threads in USC's 5 losses, what coaching changes mean for the Badgers in the bowl game, and the level of motivation for USC will be in the bowl given the high expectations going into the season.
Rich and Max join forces to preview the Badgers' matchup with USC in the Holiday Bowl. They measure Wisconsin's secondary against USC's passing attack, the battle along the line of scrimmage, discuss the latest developments with Corey Clement and Dave Aranda, and open the show with a listener submitted, Badger-themed haiku.
- 1:15 A Badger Haiku for you and yours
- 4:30 Hotel, Motel, Holiday Bowl
- 6:30 What to watch
- 9:00 The quarterbacks
- 11:00 USC doesn't have bad losses
- 13:30 How will the Badger D perform?
- 16:45 How will the Badgers CB's hold up?
- 18:15 Key matchup
- 21:30 Containing Adoree Jackson on special teams
- 23:00 The Aranda thing
- 26:30 The Clement thing
- 30:15 Max's vanity project... Big Ten Chat
- 33:15 Rich's vanity project... Being the first to hear Big Ten Chat
Surprise! Max was lucky enough to secure and interview with former Badger and NFL fullback Cecil Martin. We discusses his favorite coaches at Wisconsin, how recruiting has changed for players, and his time spent on the Allstate Good Works Day!
The Badgers closed the regular season with a convincing 31-21 victory over the Golden Gophers of Minnesota. They break down the "return" of the Badger running game, the defenses' turnover filled afternoon, Max's surprise pick for under the radar player of the game, and compare Thanksgiving recipes.
- 1:45 The sad tale of the scalloped oysters
- 4:15 The Badgers win at an 85% sold out TCF
- 5:30 The RB's get back on track
- 7:30 Rich points out all the Gophers DT's were hurt
- 12:30 The second half was ugly
- 15:45 Leidner is a less athletic, less electric Taylor Martinez
- 20:15 The Badgers improved pass rush
- 22:00 Gophers coaching shakeup
- 24:00 Cichy's Targeting penalty
- 26:30 Was this game chippier than a normal Axe Game?
- 28:30 Rich wants to talk awards!!! Not really, but he humors us
- 30:15 Corey Clement's "suspension"
- 34:30 UR Players of the Game
- 37:00 The B1G Championship
- 40:00 The Holiday Bowl
- 43:15 We shall return... But not til the 21st.
- 45:45 The Buckaround recommends...
With the game overshadowed by questions about officiating, Rich and Max delve into the chaos that was the Badgers' 13-7 loss to Northwestern. They discuss the bevy of officiating controversies in the game, the bevy (I'm liking this word today!) of turnovers by the Badgers, and the dominating performance by the defense. They finish the show with a visit from Bizarro Max, a preview of the Minnesota game, and explore Max's Thanksgiving menu.
- 2:30 It's a montage!!!
- 6:45 Dude, Matt Millen
- 8:00 Dare's spike
- 9:45 The Jazz non-TD (Max isn't taking it well...)
- 16:00 The Erickson non-TD
- 19:00 If they wanted to win they shouldn't have turned it over 5 times
- 24:30 The Badgers gave up 3 TD's at Camp Randall... And lost twice
- 27:15 Attempting to make sense of RB usage
- 29:30 Clement's promising post game comment
- 30:30 Who did the bye week benefit?
- 32:15 Yet another is this OL good conversation
- 37:00 If we had listened to Rich earlier maybe we could have saved Ray Ball...
- 41:30 Who's gonna take over at LT?
- 43:00 UR Players of the Game
- 45:00 Bizarro Max and Iowa talk
- 54:30 It's Axe Week
- 1:05:30 We lied... We're not changing the intro.
- 1:06:15 Max's Turkey Day menu... Featuring scalloped oysters
As the Badgers prepare to take on Northwestern off the bye week, Rich and Max take a look at what Saturday's game will bring. They discuss the Wildcats' inconsistent offense, their stingy defense, and how much of a factor Corey Clement can be in this game. They also find time to discuss Tom Oates' latest column on the state of the Badgers before closing the show with a set of lightning round questions from the audience and an update on the prop bet competition.
- 1:30 The team is back
- 2:00 The TalkAround (72)-77B-UCKY
- 3:45 Bizarro Max
- 5:30 The Badgers are gonna play Northwestern
- 7:15 Max gets his NIU reference in early
- 11:15 How much can the Badgers score?
- 16:30 Jarrett from Wauke$ha
- 18:00 The athletic department's handling of Clement's hand situation
- 22:00 Tom Oates' Andersen article
- 36:00 Big games in the B1G
- 41:45 Lightning round
- 44:30 Prop bets
- 48:30 Prediction time
The Badgers head into the bye week with a tighter than expected 31-24 victory over Maryland. Rich and Max discuss the unexpectedly less than dominant performance from the defense, the schizophrenic performance from the offense, and special teams that were a puzzling mix of both good and bad. All this plus Rich's in person experience at Byrd Stadium.
- 1:30 Welcome to the bye week
- 3:00 Call us!!! 720-77-BUCKY
- 4:00 Is this the blueprint for attacking the Badgers D?
- 10:30 What happens when the Badgers play real offensive talent?
- 11:15 Your #MACtion interlude
- 12:30 The Maryland DL
- 13:45 The RB situation
- 16:00 Stave went streaking
- 19:30 Rich misses DJ Gillens
- 22:00 We've gotta talk about Joel Stave
- 29:00 SPECIAL teams!!!
- 36:00 Good coaching is about what you do when your plan doesn't work
- 39:15 UR Player of the game
- 40:30 Let's talk about Iowa... Or, let's listen to Max talk about Iowa
- 43:15 Rich goes to Maryland
- 49:45 "It's better than Rutgers?"
Rich and Max examine the Badgers upcoming matchup with the Terrapins of Maryland. They discuss the relative lack of playmakers on the Maryland offense, the threat on special teams posed by Will Likely, and how they see the coaching staff dividing carries amongst the running backs once (if?) everyone is healthy. Finally, Rich breaks down his "tailgating crisis" for the weekend's game in College Park.
- 2:00 HOLD YOUR HORSES!!! The new intro will be after the season
- 3:15 Call us!!! (720) 77-BUCKY
- 5:15 Let's talk Maryland
- 10:30 How much will Clement play?
- 14:15 How will the Badgers split carries if/when Clement is healthy?
- 17:15 Will we see more Gillins?
- 19:30 Is McEvoy a viable draft prospect? At what position?
- 24:15 Big games in the B1G
- 31:30 Let's talk about Nebraska
- 37:00 Prediction time
- 39:30 Rich's Maryland situation
Off the Badgers' 48-10 stomping of Rutgers, Rich and Max have plenty of positives to discuss. They examine the return of Corey Clement, another dominating performance from the defense, and the curious case of DJ Gillins. All this and more but not before Rich issues a heartfelt apology at the top of the podcast...again
- 1:30 Matt Millen 3 weeks in a row
- 3:00 Rich makes a public apology
- 10:00 Let's get happy and talk about the game
- 11:30 The return of Corey Clement
- 15:30 Dave Aranda's Madison tenure
- 16:15 Joel Stave. Joel Stave.
- 21:00 Four thoughts on Rich's Iowa
- 24:15 Ho Hum the Badgers D played well
- 30:45 DJ Gillens is jumping people
- 33:15 Fourth Downs
- 38:30 UR Players of the game
- 43:00 Big games in the B1G
With Badger football fans abuzz with talk of a budding quarterback controversy, Rich and Max share their perspective but not before previewing "Rich's Iowa" (a.k.a Rutgers), look at how the team compensates for the loss of Dan Voltz and Rob Wheelwright, and deal with some misconceptions about the "disaster" that was Gary Andersen. Finally, they close the show looking at the potential dearth of bowl teams from the B1G West.
- 1:00 Welcome to Rich's Iowa
- 4:00 Rutgers Al isn't Rutgers Al
- 5:45 Talking the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers
- 10:00 The Rutgers QB situation
- 12:00 The worst defense in the B1G
- 14:00 Could the Badgers score 40?!?
- 16:30 What do the Badgers do without Wheelwright?
- 22:00 The MASH unit that is the OL
- 25:45 WiscoBiscuits wants to talk Stave vs Houston
- 30:15 Travis wants to talk lack of playmakers
- 38:45 Big games in the B1G
- 49:15 Prediction time
Rich and Max break down the Badgers win at Illinois – including the quarterback non-controversy that “developed.” They also talk about how the near-historic rash of injuries to each teams’ players affected the game. Finally, Max shouts out a fan of the show – who wore a BuckAround t-shirt to the game – and the merits of RVs at a tailgate.
- 1:30 No champagne in the BuckAround
- 3:15 Max saw a cat in a BuckAround shirt
- 4:45 Rich plans his Maryland trip
- 6:30 A new intro?!?
- 9:30 Down goes Stave...
- 15:45 What changed when Houston came in?
- 21:00 An epic post game interview, bro
- 22:30 Why was Erickson always open?
- 28:00 Illinois' DL had NFL bodies and NFL abilities
- 29:45 Was the defense different without Goldberg?
- 33:00 Rich offers fashion advice... And wants all the kids off his lawn
- 34:15 Chris Orr saw less time
- 35:00 Where will Badgers turn without THE Darius Hillary in '16?
- 40:30 Sahil, who is not going to College Park, wonders if Caputo is having less impact
- 44:45 UR Players of the Game
- 51:00 Max's stories from Champaign
With the Badgers still fighting to stay in the fight for the B1G West, Rich and Max preview their next opponent: Illinois. Max admits to his growing fascination with the Illini while giving a detailed rundown of the team on both sides of the ball. They then respond to some listener mail and delve into a discussion of what the decommitment of Antonio Williams means for the Badgers, and give their take on the state of Badger recruiting.
- 2:00 The many rooting interests of Maxwell Brusky
- 6:15 Let's talk about Illinois in an orderly fashion
- 8:45 Geronimo Allison can make every catch
- 11:15 Is Wes Lunt good?
- 13:45 Does Illinois have a DL?
- 15:00 Will Clement play?
- 18:45 Max mistakenly asserts anyone could be as good as Darius Hillary
- 19:00 DJ Gillins... Wide Reciever
- 27:00 To win the B1G West or not to win the B1G West
- 32:15 Did the Badgers miss a windo to break through?
- 35:00 Andersen's offensive recruits haven't been game breakers
- 40:15 18 year olds can be flaky
- 41:00 What to make of Chryst the Recruiter
After a one week hiatus Max returns to the show to dissect the Badgers' uninspiring 24-7 win over Purdue. They look at another stellar outing from the defense, talk about the relative performances of Walker Williams and Micah Kapoi as they played side by side, and what it means to get a "Good" Stave.
- 1:00 The one... The only... Married-er Maxwell Brusky
- 4:15 Hard hitting Purdue analysis
- 7:45 The offense isn't good
- 11:00 Plenty of good Stave
- 16:15 The snake bitten RB's
- 18:15 #TeamWalker vs #TeamKapoi
- 25:15 Purdue is a good MAC team but NOT on the Northern Illinois level
- 26:15 Defense was awesome
- 28:00 The 0-4-7
- 30:00 The starting OL
- 33:30 The Alec Ingold Experience
- 35:00 We join our regularly schedule Hawkeyearound already in progress
- 37:00 UR players of the game
- 41:00 Big games in the B1G
With Max off this week celebrating his nuptials, Rich runs the roost with a VERY special guest host that long time listeners should know (and fear). They talk about the resurgence of Joel Stave, Paul Chryst's game management, Rafael Gaglianone's inconsistent but ultimately triumphant day in Lincoln.
- 2:00 Welcome Skinlamp Nate to the pod!
- 3:00 Let's talk Stave... Is he better?
- 10:00 Are the WR's any good?
- 18:15 Jazzed about Peavy?
- 19:15 Are the Badgers a passing team now? (Spoiler... NO!)
- 27:30 Thoughts on Jafa and 2 pods per week
- 31:30 ANOTHER solid performance by the defense
- 36:45 UR player of the game
- 42:30 "Want to know something interesting about Purdue?"
- 44:15 Are the Badgers better off finishing 2nd in the West this year?
- 49:00 Tune in next week to hear all about Iowa, Northern Illinois and Darius Hillary!
With the Badgers sitting at 0-1 in conference, Rich and Max examine the showdown in Lincoln Saturday with Nebraska. They discuss which is worse: Nebraska's pass defense or Wisconsin's pass offense, whether or not Nebraska will run the ball, and if this is truly a "must win" game for the Badgers if they still want to win the west. They close the show with a discussion of what a poor performance from Joel Stave could or should mean for his future and where the team goes from there.
- 1:30 Who's a bigger mess? Wisconsin? Nebraska?
- 4:30 Where are the Badgers weakest on offense right now?
- 5:30 How should Nebraska attack the Badger D?
- 6:15 What should we think about the Husker running game?
- 9:00 This IS an elimination game... Right?
- 12:45 Max is one of THOSE guys. The kind that gets married during football season.
- 13:15 Who will step up?
- 14:30 REALLY bad injury luck
- 17:00 It's time to adjust expectations
- 20:30 Fourth down watch
- 25:30 Could this devolve into a mess?
- 30:45 If it does, do they change the QB?
- 40:15 Surveying the landscape of the B1G
- 43:45 Prediction time
- 46:30 Who do you want to see perform well?
- 49:00 Only one show next week
Coming off a turnover-laden clunker of a loss to Iowa, Rich and Max discuss the what went wrong Saturday at the hands of the Hawkeyes. There is lots of Stave talk, the inconsistent running game and the all world effort of the defense, headlined by Joe Schobert's headline-grabbing day. Max wraps the show with a quick breakdown of his trip to Madison.
- 2:30 The Staviest thing that ever Stave'd
- 5:00 Rich did prep work!
- 7:35 Rich talking Hillary is the new Max talking Iowa
- 8:15 How good is this defense?
- 10:30 Joe Schobert making the leap
- 13:00 The listeners want to talk about the offense
- 24:00 Sneaky bad
- 27:00 Listener attempts at rationality
- 28:30 Will this line be good? They are young, but ARE they good? WILL they be good?
- 33:30 With Erickson and Traylor out, unexpected players will have to step up
- 37:00 How good is Iowa?
- 40:30 The B1G West is terrible
- 41:00 UR Player of the Game
- 43:30 Games from the B1G (formerly Big Games from the B1G)
- 47:30 Jordan's B1G Pub
The entirety of 100+ episodes of the podcast have boiled down to this: it's Iowa-Wisconsin in Camp Randall and you-know-who can barely contain himself. There is no need for a summary of the show here because you know what's coming: Max talking about Kenny Chesney. No, really.
- 2:00 Everything in your life builds up to Iowa
- 3:45 Do you want to bask in Max's glow? Go to Jordan's B1G pub!
- 6:45 Gather round boys and girls. Max will tell the story of Iowa.
- 11:30 A look at the Iowa run game
- 14:00 How good is the Iowa DL?
- 17:00 The Hawkeyes have a very good secondary
- 18:30 The Iowa segment is the song from Barney... It goes on and on my friends
- 21:47 Max's Iowa talk makes Rich yawn
- 23:00 Do you buy the Badger D?
- 26:00 Examining the Badger WR's
- 29:00 This game will show if Stave has made progress
- 31:30 How much have the Badgers held back?
- 33:30 Will Clement redshirt?
- 41:00 Talking about position changes
- 45:30 Big games in the B1G
Wrapping up non-conference play, Rich and Max review the Badgers' convincing 28-0 win over the Rainbow Warriors of Hawaii. They discuss the dominant performance of the defense, the solid effort in the ground game, and he up and down afternoon through the air. Let be honest here. This is all just a prelude for Max to lose his mind in the Iowa preview in episode 102.
- 2:00 Meetup with Max near Camp Randall
- 5:45 Recapping Hawaii
- 6:15 A look at the secondary
- 15:00 Not much to discuss with the front 7... Which is a good thing
- 16:15 A look into the future at LB
- 18:30 The inverted wishbone is back!!
- 21:00 Rich has concerns
- 23:30 Alec Ingold means 4 years of Northern Illinois references
- 26:15 The OL looks better
- 29:15 Talking about the throw game
- 40:00 Jazz' hands on punt returns
- 45:00 J Leman stares into your soul
- 46:00 Drew Meyer and the Shanks (album coming to stores soon)
- 49:00 UR player of the game
- 51:15 Were there big games in the B1G?
100 Episode? 100 EPISODES!! Rich and Max ring in triple digits with a look ahead to the Badger's final non-conference matchup with Hawaii. They discuss what Norm Chow's team brings to the game, the apparent move of Lubern Figaro from safety to cornerback, shifting Caleb Kinlaw to defense (whoops, recorded this before it was announced), and how the B1G conference schedule is downright awful this week. Finally they close the show with some listener reactions to last week's Michigan State discussion before a major show announcement in celebration of episode 100.
- 2:15 Max's special relationship with Hawaii
- 4:45 Talking Rainbow Warriors
- 9:45 Will Clement play and allow an honest look at the O Line?
- 11:00 Where will Walker Williams line up?
- 12:30 The tale of Figaro
- 15:00 The future at safety is not Farrar away
- 17:00 The topic where Rich is wrong the fastest... Caleb Kinlaw
- 21:00 Big games?!? In the B1G
- 26:00 Feedback on Sparty vs Bucky
- 41:30 The most authentic coach in college football
- 44:30 The Buckaround gives back
Rich and Max examine the Badgers' 28-3 win over Troy. They talk about the dominating defensive performance, why the team scored so few points, Chris Orr's arms (or lack thereof - TBD) and the Jabbawockeez.
- 2:00 Who is listening in Hong Kong?
- 5:30 Chris Orr's sleeves
- 6:30 The Brusky Scale of Arm Power Measurement (BSAPM)
- 11:45 Chris Orr's play... Evan Flood is smart
- 13:45 Thinning the herd at ILB
- 19:00 McEvoy's usage
- 21:00 The O-Line in flux
- 25:15 The Deal vs Dare debate... Or lack thereof
- 28:30 Is UW's offense fools gold?
- 35:00 UW on 4th down
- 40:00 UR Players of the Game
- 42:30 Big games in the B1G
- 52:00 Max didn't talk about NIU in the OSU recap enough... So he's doubling down
- 52:45 Cue the Iowa music